Mark and Gino Stocco have been caught after eight years on the run. Photo: NSW Police Gino and Mark Stocco were arrested 20 kilometres outside Dunedoo in central western NSW. Photo: NSW Police

Gino Stocco is taken from Dubbo police station to hospital by ambulance. Photo: Brook Kellehear-Smith

Mark and Gino Stocco on a visit to their father in Ingham during the.2000s Photo: Supplied

Mark Stocco at Dubbo police station. Photo: Nine News

Mark Stocco at Dubbo police station. Photo: Nine News

Mafia history of victimBody found on remote propertyHow the Stoccos evaded policeThe tip-off that led to the final hide-outWill o’ the wisps in Kelly Gang country

Fugitive father and son Gino and Mark Stocco will remain behind bars until at least the new year after appearing in Dubbo Local Court, charged with murder.

The men, who had been on the run for eight years, did not appear in court as magistrate Andrew Eckhold ordered they remain behind bars until their case returns to court on January 20.

They did not apply for bail and it was formally refused by Mr Eckhold

Gino, 57, and Mark Stocco, 36, were each charged with 17 offences, including the murder of Rosario Cimone, the 68-year-old caretaker of the property that served as the men’s bush hideout.

The men are accused of murdering Mr Cimone at the property, called Pinevale, between 6am and 6pm on October 7, police charge sheets revealed.

On October 8, his daughter made a missing persons report at Green Valley police station in western Sydney.

Their heads bowed, the men were escorted handcuffed into the backs of separate police vehicles and moved from Dubbo police station just before midday on Thursday by Corrective Service’s high risk transport unit.

Speaking outside Dubbo police station superintendent Clint Pheeney confirmed the men were en route to Wellington Correctional Centre for assessment before being transferred to another prison.

He said the move was “appropriate”, given the men stand accused of murder but would not comment on whether they would eventually be taken to Goulburn Supermax, ‘s highest security prison.

The pair were arrested on Wednesday morning, when a covert operation of heavily armed officers surrounded them at a rugged property, near Elong Elong, 50 kilometres east of Dubbo.

Hours after their arrest, police found Mr Cimone’s “fairly decomposed” body on the property.

Wanted for a string of property and violent offences in Queensland, NSW and Victoria, the men became the focus of a large manhunt after police were shot at during a high-speed pursuit near Wagga Wagga on October 16.

In relation to that incident, both men face three charges of shooting with the intent to murder Constable Benjamin Kerslake, Constable Matthew Shaw and Senior Constable Stephen Woolatt, and shooting with the intent to resist arrest.

The pair then led police on a 12-day-long wild chase, travelling more than 2000 kilometres across rural NSW and Victoria.

The men now stand accused of a slew of violence and property offences from that period, including the unauthorised possession of a 12-gauge Remington shotgun, ammunition and suspected stolen power tools, camping equipment and towels.

They were also charged with a number of offences relating to the two vehicles they allegedly stole during their 12 days on the run – a silver Nissan Navara and white Toyota LandCruiser ute.

On Wednesday, police revealed that a tip-off from an Elong Elong resident led them to the men’s bushland hideout.

Police then monitored the Stoccos for 16 hours after the neighbour reported seeing the LandCruiser parked in the Gunnoo State Forest not far from Dunedoo.

Just before midday on Wednesday officers from the tactical unit descended on the pair, who struggled with police as they were forced to the ground and cable-tied with their hands behind their back.

The men are expected to face further charges, including those allegedly committed in interstate jurisdictions.